Building a Home in Park County
This website is developed as a tool for your home building process in the mountains. It is designed as a reference guide with some helpful advice. Whether you are looking for a General Contractor to build your home or you wish to act as the Owner-Builder, we hope this publication will provide you with the information on building a home in Park County.
Benefits of using local designers & contractors for building your home
Although it is common to know “non-local” relative or friend in the building business that offers you their expertise and service, we encourage you to consider local contactors with the skills and knowledge required with the uniqueness of mountain design and the understanding of local approval processes. There are favored construction practices for high mountain conditions that are uncommon to other areas. By hiring established local contractors, many mistakes that often cost unnecessary time and expense can be avoided, streamlining the home-building experience.
For instance, local jurisdictions have unique development guidelines that are constantly being reviewed and revised. A site may require a variance to the development code to be planned effectively. Using a local design team offers the ability to understand local codes and procedures, using them for the client’s benefit. Local teams with previous experience can effectively prepare the submittal to the review committees and have an increased probability of a complete submittal which is important considering many committees meet monthly.
Considering the increased difficulty of site development having a local team’s experience in dealing with regulations pertaining to local wetlands restrictions, open space guidelines and the many other procedures specific to your area, works to your advantage.
There is also the practical consideration during the construction phase to have your contractors reasonably close to the building site to enable a quick response to construction detailing, client visits, and general on-site team support. We have provided tips for working with contractors along with suggested agreement guidelines to help you with choosing your contractors. The more informed you are, the more the process will work efficiently. Enjoy!
Park County Building Department
856 Castello Ave (2nd floor), Fairplay, CO
You will find all the forms and information in regards to building on the PCBD website.
Click on the Department Button to find the appropriate offices.
This Guide is Available at:
- ALMART - 11 S. Main St. (Highway 9), Alma
- ALPINE LUMBER - 212 N. Colorado Ave., Buena Vista
- BRECKENRIDGE BLDG CENTER - 13445 Highway 9, Breckenridge
- EXXON - 21970 US Hwy 285, Fairplay
- HIGHLINE CAFE - 12779 US Hwy 24, Hartsel
- JEFFERSON MARKET - 38600 Highway 285, Jefferson
- MOORE LUMBER - Dwtn. Bailey and Mt. Evans Blvd., Pine
- MOUNTAIN MAN GALLERY - 614 Broadway, Como
- PARK COUNTY BUILDING DEPT - 1246 Cty. Rd. 16, Fairplay
- ROCKY MOUNTAIN LUMBER - 735 N. US Highway 24, Buena Vista
- SINCLAIRS - 640 Highway 285., Fairplay
- SOUTH PARK ACE HARDWARE - 299 US Hwy 285, Fairplay
- SOUTH PARK MERCANTILE - 12787 US Hwy 24, Hartsel
- STARKY'S GENERAL STORE - 38316 US Hwy 24, Lake George
- TALL COUNTRY - 379 US Hwy 285, Fairplay
- THE BUSINESS CONNECTION - 1150 Castello Ave, Fairplay
- TOWN OF FAIRPLAY - 901 Main St, Fairplay
Also available at REAL ESTATE offices in PARK COUNTY, BUENA VISTA, and BRECKENRIDGE.
The Business Connection assumes no liability for the work of the contractors advertising in this publication. Due to the ever changing codes and regulations of Park County some of the following information may be incorrect and needs to be verified with the correct Park County Offices. The information in this booklet is updated every year with Park County.
Produced by: The Business Connection, 1150 Castello Ave. Fairplay, CO (719) 836-1919
©March 2019 by The Business Connection Link All Rights Reserved